The Dobbs Case - What Just Happened?
The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) made headlines this morning when a leak of what appears to be a draft of the decision on the Dobbs case. If this leak is real, it indicates that the Court will overturn Roe v Wade, one of the most controversial and divisive decisions in the Court’s history. Roe v Wade, decided in 1973, essentially legalized abortion on demand in all 50 States superseding a state’s right to determine whether or not to protect life before birth or before viability. Since Roe, over 62 million abortions have occurred in the US. Over 32,000 abortions are performed in Pennsylvania each year or nearly 88 abortions in our State every single day.
The Court heard the Dobbs v Jackson Women’s Health Organization in the Fall of 2021 with an expected ruling next month. If the leak is true, the Court plans to rule that State’s pre-viability prohibitions on elective abortions are constitutional thereby returning the right to protect life to each State. And this will be cause for celebration because it allows for the conscience of the people to speak and act to determine if and how abortion on demand may continue. But what will this new twist, the leak, mean for us and for America.
Tensions will be accelerated and exacerbated by the leak.
Protests and actions by both sides will be expected.
Women will be confused, angry, and even panicked about their options.
We will need your help.
What will change if Roe is overturned?
- For a short season, nothing will change in Pennsylvania. Because of the current PA laws allowing abortion to 22 weeks, abortions will continue.
- We must pray and work to gain a unified voice on behalf of the unborn, take our values to the ballot box, and implement strategies for change.
- Pregnancy Centers like Women’s Choice Network will still need help. Women will continue to need medical services and the network of caring people to assist with resources, finances, etc.
- Many will be angry. For Americans under 40, abortion has always been “a given.” Many have defined abortion as a “right” and have even relied on abortion as a back up birth control method. Anger, fear, even panic are natural reactions.
- Media will demonize the decision. We should expect emotional opposition and exaggerated claims of the decision’s hardship to women.
- The abortion pill will become the method of choice. No longer needing a clinic or a doctor, those seeking abortion will no doubt be supplied with online pills and telehealth abortions.
What does this mean for your Church?
This is a defining moment for Christianity. Many will applaud the decision and work hard to assure that the unborn will be protected and women and men facing an unexpected pregnancy will be provided with all they will need to support a healthy pregnancy, a growing family, or an adoption decision. Some within the Church may debate the decision and contend that abortion should be a woman’s choice. Heated and divisive conversations may happen. Some may even leave the Church.
We can respond to each other in very practical ways:
- Inform your Congregation and Parish. Open up your doors to speakers and programs that bring Biblical light to this debate. Please look at our Resources for Churches page on this website.
- Participate in supporting local pregnancy centers that extend care to those facing an unintended pregnancy.
- Be aware that post abortion women and men are in your pews. Provide safe and positive opportunities to find healing, restoration, and freedom. Consider promoting our Breathe After Abortion Care programs to demonstrate your compassion toward those who have suffered a past abortion.
- Introduce young people to the Scriptural foundation for the sanctity of human life.
Facilitate ways to provide practical services for single mothers like babysitting, yard work, car repair, etc.
- Listen with love to those who may debate the decision. Gently share the truth in love.
Recent Blog Posts
Guidestar Platinum Seal of Transparency
We’re committed to the highest level of transparency! WCN earned a 2020 Platinum Seal of Transparency--the highest level. We've shared our outcomes showcasing the progress and results we’re making toward our mission! Check out our updated GuideStar profile today https://www.guidestar.